Abalone shells are a gift from the sea and symbolizes the water element. The unlit herbs represent earth, the lit herb represents fire and the smoke represents air. In this way, the act of smudging invites Mama Gaia into the center of the ceremony to hold space for any transformations that will occur.
6 Tips When Smudging with an Abalone Shell:
- To protect its beautiful rainbow shimmer from hot embers, add a layer of sand to the inside of the shell. Colorful sands add a beauty to the shell and ceremony!
- Try smudging with different herbs like white sage (release and clear energy), mugwort (stimulate dreams), lavender (calming) and rosemary (mental clarity), cedar (protection) and flowers (meditation).
- To enhance the energies of your smudging ceremony, try adding essential oil drops or resins such as frankincense (purification), lavender (calming), copal (connection to spirit realm) and amber (protection) into your smudge bowl.
- To bless a person, space or object with the cleansing energy, use the underside of a bird’s feather to brush the smoke around them.
- Be mindful when handling hot embers and sand because abalone shells naturally have holes in them.
- Use caution when handling the shell because heat can transfer to the shell.